This event took place at the Bemidji Community Food Shelf. David Horn from the Beltrami County Farm Bureau presented both the food shelf and our food bank with a matching donation and issued a challenge to other county farm bureaus as well as companies to do the same. This action was intended to demonstrate that North Country Food Bank is local and an important support system for all local agencies throughout our 21 county service area.
Take Action Against Hunger Day Proclamation
- Whereas, 46 million Americans or 1 in 7 used a food pantry last year.
- Whereas, 40% of households served by the Feeding America network had at least one working adult. More families are living paycheck to paycheck and find themselves having to choose between food and other unexpected needs.
- Whereas, 620,000 of the households using Feeding America services have at least one member currently in the military. That’s one-quarter of all US military households.
- Whereas, 16 million children are living in households that struggle with hunger. School lunch programs help, but they do not solve the problem. Here in Minnesota 40% of those we serve are children under the age of 18.
- Whereas, hunger has adverse consequences for all Americans, but particularly for children and mothers.
- Whereas, hunger impedes growth and development;
- Whereas, hunger is associated with behavior problems among preschoolers and school-age children;
- Whereas, hunger is a significant predictor of adverse health conditions;
- Whereas, 3 million rural households experience food insecurity. According to the US Census Bureau, poverty rates are highest among rural, non-metropolitan counties, where it can be more difficult for food banks and emergency assistance programs to support them.
- Whereas, there has been a 46% increase of people seeking assistance since the 2006 Hunger in America study.
- Whereas, no person in our community should have to go hungry.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Rita Albrecht, Mayor of the City of Bemidji, MN, do hereby proclaim the week of August 25th, 2014 as
Take Action Against Hunger Week
and do hereby proclaim the day of August 25th, 2014 as
Bemidji Community Food Shelf Day
in Bemidji, MN, and encourage everyone to accept the challenge of the Beltrami County Farm Bureau to demonstrate their support for North Country Food Bank and their local food shelf by donating to both.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the official seal of the City of Bemidji, MN to be affixed at Beltrami County on this day of August 25th, 2014.